November 30, 2006

I love this book...

I happened across this devotional book, Through the Bible, Through the Year: Daily Reflections from Genesis to Revelation by John R.W. Stott, at the library in the new releases. After a couple of weeks I had to order my own copy. I have never faithfully used any devotional but am loving this one and can see myself using it year after year. One of the cool things about it is that it follows the Christian (liturgical) calendar. As Stott says,

My concern, however, is rather to offer a resource for daily private devotion. It should enable us, whether we belong to a so-called liturgical church or not, to recapitulate every year the whole biblical story from the creation in Genesis to the consummation in Revelation 22.

To recall, relive, and celebrate annually this divine story should lead us into a wholesome and balanced trinitarian faith, should increase our familiarity with the framework and content of the Bible, and should establish our confidence in the God of history who has been and still is working out his purpose before, during, and after the incarnate life of our Lord Jesus Christ until he come in power and glory.

If I had the money, I would buy a case of these and give one to everyone I know for Christmas. Too bad, you won't be getting one from me, but I highly recommend you get one for yourself. :-))

0 comments: