April 9, 2008

Please pray for Martha Marie

This family is Eddie and Martha Marie Smith with their daughter Selah. Eddie was a youth in our church who was called into the ministry. After several years as a youth pastor on our district, they recently left to serve at Southern Wesleyan University in Central, SC.

Martha Marie has just been diagnosed with a very serious brain aneurysm. Anyway, they are sharing their situation at EddieSmith.com and I know would appreciate and benefit from concerted prayer effort. Below I've copied their update from today:

“With God, ALL things are possible.” I’ve had to repeat that statement several times since leaving the doctor’s office today, because honestly Eddie and I left with heavy hearts.

Dr Kanos is a very sharp, to-the-point kind of doctor, and we appreciated his honesty and thoroughness very much. I will admit though that hearing some of his explanation of the aneurysm was tough. He explained to us that this is not your typical normal aneurysm. It is a very unusually shaped aneurysm and it involves three different arteries in the brain. The only way I can think to describe it is that it looks somewhat like a three-way stop with a very broad center, and that is putting it as simplistic as I can.

So…how is it going to be fixed? That’s the part that was very discouraging. Our doctor is not sure if this aneurysm is fixable. I (MM) have to undergo another test and after that is completed our doctor will be able to tell whether surgery is even an option. He explained that it would be pretty tedious surgery because they would have to go in and somehow reconstruct the three arteries where the aneurysm is located. So we asked if surgery turns out not to be an option then what happens then? Basically nothing. It would be like living with a time bomb in my head….at least that’s the way it seems to me.

We really need a miracle. Eddie and I are in the process of trying to adopt a child at this very moment. If this aneurysm is not fixable then we know adoption won’t even be an option. Plus I don’t want to live in fear and walk on eggshells the rest of my life….we know God doesn’t want that either. We are refusing to accept the possibility that there may be nothing that can be done. We serve a BIG God who can do BIG things. We know that nothing is impossible with Him, and He can heal this in an instant. This is where radical faith comes in…..believing God for COMPLETE healing!!! He can do this!!! And I believe He WILL do this! Will you just please pray that this aneurysm will be fixable? Pray specifically for wisdom for our doctor, pray that God will help us trust Him 100% in and through this, and pray God will receive incredible glory from everything that is done. We truly covet your prayers through this, because Satan so wants to discourage us and for us to settle and be content to live with this for the rest of my life….nope, not an option. Our God is AWESOME and He’s about to show us yet again just how incredible He is!!! He is the GREAT PHYSICIAN!!

1 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

Very moving - kind of makes me realize, once again, that I have NOTHING to complain about! What a beautiful family.