March 22, 2007

Surprise me, people!

I would like to assume that both of my readers are highly literate. But, who knows?

Let's see if either of you can tell me wrote this? I'll have to admit that I was surprised. It seems like I had seen this on a greeting card or on one of those sentimental forwarded emails.

The woman was made of a rib out of the side of Adam;
not made out of his head to rule over him,
nor out of his feet to be trampled upon by him,
but out of his side to be equal with him,
under his arm to be protected,
and near his heart to be beloved.

2 comments:

JenLo said...

Would it be Matthew Henry? Not because I had any idea who he was before tonight, nor because I'm particularly literate, but because I'm a savvy researcher;0 It took me approx 5 minutes to find. I was thinking it was in the Bible somewhere at first.

w2wkb said...

I posted this question on a message board and got as quick a response there as well. I'd known of Matthew Henry, but was just surprised to hear this commonly used prose came from him. Written around 1704.