March 6, 2007

Through the Bible update - Part 2:Exodus

Moving along the "Highlighter Trail," as I did in Genesis, here are my meager highlighted verses from Exodus

  • Exodus 2:24-25; 5:23 & 6:1 "24And God heard their groaning, and God remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Isaac, and with Jacob. 25God saw the people of Israel--and God knew." Later Moses says, "5:23For since I came to Pharaoh to speak in your name, he has done evil to this people, and you have not delivered your people at all. 6:1aBut the LORD said to Moses, `Now you shall see what I will do to Pharaoh';"
    • God hears my suffering and sees my situation and understands.
    • God remembers his promises to me.
    • It may appear to me that God is not going to deliver me at all but I am frequently not able to comprehend his timing.
    • Finally, at some point, in His timing, I will be amazed at what God "will do."
  • Exodus 3:14-15 "God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And he said, "Say this to the people of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'" 15God also said to Moses, "Say this to the people of Israel, 'The LORD, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.' This is my name forever, and thus I am to be remembered throughout all generations."
    • First, I like how God is directing Moses so precisely, twice telling him "Say this."
    • Second, I've been fascinated by the "perpetual statute" statements and here God tells what his name is to be remembered as forever.
  • Exodus 4:21 But I will harden his heart and 7:3 "But I will harden Pharaoh's heart," - Wouldn't you hate to be Pharaoh at this point?
  • Exodus 12:13 The blood shall be a sign for you, on the houses where you are. And when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and no plague will befall you to destroy you, when I strike the land of Egypt.
  • Exodus 12:26 & 13:14 "And when your children say to you, 'What do you mean by this service?'" 13:14 "And when in time to come your son asks you, 'What does this mean?' you shall say to him..."
    • This is especially meaningful to me as the father of young, inquisitive children. We are having so many opportunities to talk about the things of God in response to their questions that is becoming amazing to me what they want to ask about.
  • Exodus 12:40 The time that the people of Israel lived in Egypt was 430 years. At the end of 430 years, on that very day, all the hosts of the LORD went out from the land of Egypt.
    • Wow! How precise is that? Another example of God's timing?
  • Exodus 13:22 The pillar of cloud by day and the pillar of fire by night did not depart from before the people.
  • Exodus 14:13 And Moses said to the people, "Fear not, stand firm, and see the salvation of the LORD, which he will work for you today. For the Egyptians whom you see today, you shall never see again.
  • Exodus 33:21-22 And the LORD said, "Behold, there is a place by me where you shall stand on the rock, 22and while my glory passes by I will put you in a cleft of the rock, and I will cover you with my hand until I have passed by.
  • Exodus 29:9b And the priesthood shall be theirs by a statute forever. Thus you shall ordain Aaron and his sons. Compare this with 1 Samuel 2:30 Therefore the LORD the God of Israel declares: 'I promised that your house and the house of your father should go in and out before me forever,' but now the LORD declares: 'Far be it from me, for those who honor me I will honor, and those who despise me shall be lightly esteemed.

0 comments: